Friday, April 2, 2010

Have I Gone Mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

So last night I finally watched Disney's new Alice in Wonderland. Although I'd heard some negative reviews, I loved the film! It was just sheer visual eye candy, and I loved the storyline.








My favorite part though was when Johnny Depp's Mad Hatter recited the poem "Jabberwocky" by Lewis Carroll. Of course, it might have helped that my movie companion also knew the poem and chose to recite it along with the Mad Hatter. ;) In any case, I had never heard the poem before and it was just so hauntingly beautiful.



Here's the poem in full:

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
{Poem from: Jabberwocky}

Isn't that lovely? I thought the cast was perfect with Johnny Depp as a phenomenal Mad Hatter. I also loved all the other minor characters like the Cheshire Cat, Rabbit, and Mouse.





Anne Hathaway was appropriately dreamy as the White Queen and Helena Bonham Carter was pretty perfect as the Red Queen.







My favorite characters were definitely the tweedles. Especially when the Red Queen called them her "fat boys." Hilarious!





And of course I loved Alice. Her clothing was to die for and I loved all the little details like calling Alice "Um"... priceless! Overall, I had a wonderful time and I definitely recommend it for children young (and old)!



{All images from: Disney}

2 comments:

  1. It wasn't on my to-see list, but it certainly is now. Thanks for the nudge I needed. I love the way they worked "real people" into the movie. Never expected it to work so well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In ♥ with The Mad Hatter ! LOVE this blog! & Alice in Wonderland..

    ReplyDelete