Friday, February 19, 2010

The Ties That Bind

I've been thinking a lot about friendship lately and how sometimes you come to a point where you realize that you no longer have the need or desire to maintain a particular friendship. When I was younger, I went through several "best friends." I don't think I ever intentionally drifted apart from them, but I did. As I've grown older, the relationships I have with my friends have grown to mean much more than just "hanging out at recess," and yet right now I've reached a point where there are some friendships that are on the line and I'm not sure I want to resuscitate them.


{Image from: Daydream Lily}

In some ways, I feel as if I've outgrown them and I feel as if we've changed so much in the past couple years that we no longer share the things we once did and now our friendship is based more on memories than on new experiences. Even the times we hang out now are spent reminiscing and doing the same thing we did before rather than evolving and becoming something better than it was before.


{Image from: That Unreliable Girl}

Maybe it's me and maybe I change too much for the same things to always satisfy me, but the truth is that I've grown bored. I've also come to realize that my time is incredibly valuable. I have very strong ties to my family and they are the only non-negotiable aspect of my life, and so in my spare time, I've grown more selective about what I do. I think that because of my strong relationships with them, it also makes me realize exactly what it is to be there through thick and thin and so I feel that with certain friends that is definitely not the case.

I think it may be time for me to go it alone.

1 comment: